The First Calaveras Guard was organized July 26, 1852, to quell the Mexicans and Chileans who.were robbing, murdering and way-laying the citizens in Calaveras County. Soon after organization there was an uprising among the foreign element, and it was necessary for the County Judge to call on the First Calaveras Guard, for assistance: in repelling the armed mob of three hundred persons. Much difficulty was experienced in restoring order and the Guard was hampered by the shortage of ammunition. The corps possessed only two rounds of caps which necessitated charging with buckshot. Although successful in quelling the rioters on this occasion.,' Captain Lewis did not care for a repetition of this dangerous procedure, and in a letter September 18, 1852, to General Kibbe he informed the General of the impending.Civil War in the southern section of Calaveras, and urgently requested a generous supply of ammunition and, if possible, pistols.
This company was short lived. Its sole purpose
being to put a stop to foreign lawlessness. As most of the members
of the company were miners, allowing them little time to drill,
it is not surprising to find that the unit disbanded May 30, 1853,
after it was seen that the lawlessness practiced by the foreigners
had been checked for the present.
(1) San Francisco Daily Herald, May 30, 1853, page 2, column 4.