Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fraizer Mountain Radio Relay Annex
On 1 June 1960 the Air Force acquired
0.05 acres of property on Frazier Mountain in Ventura county,
California. The land was obtained from the u.s. Department of
Agriculture under Special Use Permit LA-1236 dated 22 July 1960.
The initial permit was for a period of 6 months. Through a series
of extensions, use of the parcel was extended indefinitely. Use
Permit data for short term, mid-1960's leases for other parties
is not available from the Forest Service.
The site was used to test mobile communication and instrumentation
equipment by Edwards Air Force Base personnel. The historical
records indicate that no permanent improvements were installed
at the property during Air Force use. The Acquisition Progress
Report indicates joint use of Frazier Mountain, but does not
Air Force disposal was effective 28 January 1965. Records are
unclear, but it was apparently transferred to the Army Corps
of Engineers, who on 24 June 1965 returned the 0.05 acres to
the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The site is currently occupied
by radio antennae and associated buildings.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster