- Historic California
Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
- Fresno Air National
- Fresno Army Air
Base, Hammer Field
The Fresno Air National Guard Base in California
is home to the 144th Fighter Wing. The 144th Fighter Wing (FW)
of the California Air National Guard occupies two separate parcels
of land (the main base area and the Munitions Storage Area) totaling
110.726 acres of leased land on the Fresno Yosemite International
Airport (formerly named Fresno Air Terminal), located approximately
4 miles east of downtown Fresno, California. The mission of the
144th FW is to provide air defense protection for California from
the Mexican border to Ukiah utilizing the F-16 Fighting Falcon
jet fighter aircraft. The 144th FW occupies 6 administrative,
16 industrial and 2 services buildings totaling approximately
341,251 square feet with 325 full-time personnel. A unit training
drill is conducted once a month and results in a surge of up to
a total of 990 personnel. There is currently an ongoing construction
project (Composite Support Facility), which when completed by
the end of FY 2001, will add an additional 6,236 square feet of
The California Army National Guard [CAARNG]
aviation units are based at the Mather Army Aviation Support Facility
(AASF) located at the former Mather Air Force Base (AFB) in Sacramento,
the California Aviation Classification Repair Depot (AVCRAD) in
Fresno, the AASF in Stockton, and the Armed Forces Reserve Center
(AFRC) in Los Alamitos. All sites include hangar facilities, aircraft
parking aprons, and armories. The 1106th AVCRAD's mission is to
provide aircraft support to the National Guard's aviation units
of thirteen western states. It performs the highest level of maintenance
possible on Army aircraft.
Hammer Field, also known as Fresno Army
Air Base and previously known as Fresno Air Field and Municipal
Airport at Fresno, was located 5 miles northeast of Fresno. The
Army Air Force acquired this area for the Airways Detachment to
set up a sub-base of Camp Pinedale for an extension of ordnance
storage facilities and additional land for housing construction,
a hospital, laundry, drainage facilities, cold storage, fire station,
school building, rifle ranges, high tower shot gun range, motor
pool areas, chemical warfare storage area, a concrete underground
igloo magazine arms storage, Hammer Army Air Field was a training
base of the 4th Air Force specializing in night fighters. It had
three sub-bases and two gunnery ranges. Hammer Field also had
an Army Air Forces regional hospital.
The site is approximately 1616.95 acres
and was acquired by the U.S. Government for use as an Army Air
Base sub-base for Camp Pinedale.
The US Government acquired the site from several sources between
1941 to 1945; the sources included the City of Fresno (804.59
acres by lease), 21 individual land owners (781.96 acres by fee
and 27.24 acres by lease), easement right-of-ways (1.42 acres)
and permit (1.64 acres). In 1943 the lease on 9.24 acres was terminated.
In 1945 and 1946, the leases for 18 acres and 5 acres were terminated,
respectively. Effective January 15, 1947, 23.06 acres were reassigned
for the Hammer Field National Guard training area. In 1948, 319
acres were quitclaimed and the lease on 799.69 acres were transferred
to the City of Fresno. In 1948 and 1949, 441.5 acres were quitclaimed
to the State of California.
The former Hammer Field area, now the site
of the Fresno Air Terminal, has various sources of contamination
that are being investigated by the California Air National Guard,
the California Army National Guard, and the State of California
Department of Health Services. This investigation is part of the
active IRP program and as such is not related to the formerly
used area that the enclosed INPR covers. However, groundwater
contamination sources have not been exactly pinpointed yet. If,
upon further investigation, this alleged landfill holds chemical
contamination similar to what is being discovered, the possibility
exists for active participation in the remediation program.
Planning is underway for the Air Cargo Park
at Fresno Yosemite International Airport located on approximately
87 acres of land on the north side of the airport. The air cargo
park will feature two aircraft ramps together with over 500,000
square feet of air cargo building space. The first phase was completed
in late fall of 2001.
Extract, US Army Air
Forces Directory of Airfields (January 1945)
Known Units at Hammer
- Hammer Field
- by Justin Ruhge
- Named in honor of Lieutenant Earl M. Hammer,
California's first World War I American to be killed in action
while behind the German lines on March 19, 1918. He was a graduate
of the Aviation Ground School at Berkeley as well as the University
of California Agricultural College in Davis.
- In early 1941 the War Department decided
that the space and facilities at the then Bakersfield Airport,
called Chandler Field, were inadequate for a military field and
chose instead a site east of Fresno for the new Hammer Field.
The Fresno City Council bought up the site and leased it to
the Army Air Corps by March 14, 1941. The construction of runways,
hangars, administration and service buildings and barracks got
underway almost immediately.
The first of seventy-five bombers expected eventually to occupy
the big base was flown into Fresno on April 22. It was a B 18-A
Douglas bomber. It landed at Chandler Field because Hammer's
runways were still under construction. These were completed
in November 1941. The field was turned over to the Army Air
Corps on December 1, 1941. The field was home to the 15th Bombardment
Group, the 47th Light Bombardment Group and the 49th Airbase
Group of the Army Air Corps.
- Called simply Fresno Army Air Base at
first, the field was officially opened on April 3, 1941 when
Lieutenant Colonel Lotha A. Smith assumed command. Colonel Smith
left on December 4, 1941 and was succeeded by Lieutenant Colonel
John W. Warren. Lieutenant Colonel Guy Kirksey replaced him
on December 25, 1941.
- Fresno Army Air Base became Hammer Field
in January 1942. Dedication was in May 1942.
- The 4th Air Force Replacement Depot arrived
in August 1942. Its purpose was to receive all filler replacements
and prepare them to fill assignments in the Air Force. The Depot
made Hammer Field a highly significant installation in training
and preparing filers and technicians for their jobs overseas.
- The Army acquired Bakersfield's Chandler
Field Municipal Airport in 1942 for use as an auxiliary field
to Hammer Field. Bomb storage and training were its main functions.
- One of Hammer Field's most outstanding
facilities was the hospital, which consisted of 85 buildings
containing 932 beds, while the total authorized was 1,112. The
hospital was also able to offer services to surrounding army
- In June 1943, Hammer Field's first WAACs,
those composing the 794th Women's Army Auxiliary Corps, arrived.
The unit eventually became simply detachment W and later Squadron
W, involving the changeover from WAAC to WAC, the Women's Army
- Hammer Field also was designated as an
Army Air Force Training Center for nurses in December 1943.
- In March 1944 Night Fighter training missions
began when the runways roared with activity as countless planes
took off for night formations in all kinds of mock training missions.
- USO events took place off base in Fresno.
- In November 1945, Brigadier General Lotha
A. Smith, the first base commander, returned to be the final
- The Hammer Field newspaper was the "Hammer
Field Night Hawk." It reported that some 60,000 troops
had been trained at Hammer Field during the 5 years of its existence.
- On October 25, 1945 the War Department
announced that Hammer Field was to be deactivated. The U.S.
government had purchased an additional 319 acres immediately
west and 531 acres north of that area owned by the city. On
December 5, 1946, the City of Fresno agreed to assume operations
of the airport section of Hammer Field under an interim license
from the War Assets Administration. On September 29, 1948, the
War Assets Administration canceled the leases on behalf of the
government and quitclaimed the 319 acres of land immediately
west of the city-owned property to the City of Fresno. The City
received this land and thirty-two buildings. The land and facilities
were deeded to the Fresno State College to be used as a farm
- The commercial airline announced that
they would no longer use the Chandler Field Municipal Airport.
It was declared too small and inadequate for the new generation
of commercial aircraft coming into use.
- On December 26, 1956 the City Commission
changed the name of Hammer Field to Fresno Air Terminal.
Reference: Hammer Field
Basic Training Center, December 21, 1945; Fresno County in the
20th Century, From 1900 to 1980s, Vol. 2 an All New History by
Charles W. Clough. Fresno, Fresno County.
- Other Online Histories
and Numbering System Map (1943)
Layout Map (1945)
- History of Fourth Air Force Replacement
Depot, Hammer Field:
February-31 December 1943
January-30 April 1944
Present 7 December 1941
- 84th Bombardment Squadron (Light)
85th Bombardment Squadron (Light)
86th Bombardment Squadron (Light)
97th Bombardment Squadron (Light)
Hq and Hq Sq, 49th Air Base Group:
64th Material Squadron
50th Air Base Squadron
Air Force Band
Det, 1st Communications Squadron
Det, 1st Weather Squadron
- Det, 3rd Chemical Company (Service) (Aviation)
444th Ordnance Company (Aviation) (Bombardment)
710th Ordnance Company (Aviation) (Air Base)
Det, Company M, 34th Quartermaster Regiment (Truck)
Det, 91st Quartermaster Battalion (Lt Maint)
Det, 4th Quartermaster Company (Supply) (Aviation)
321st Signal Company (Air Wing)
Det, 854th Signal Service Company (Aviation)
25th Signal Platoon (Air Base)
- 402nd Army Air Forces Base Unit (Fighter)
- 450th Army Air Forces Base Unit (Combat
Crew Training Station-Night Fighter)
Posted 18 May 2008