Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fort Barry: Anti-Aircraft Battery
Fort Barry, AA Battery
No. 2, 1927. Army Presidio Museum Archives, C-1 0311. Golden
Gate National Recreation Area, San Francisco
by Justin Ruhge
Three fixed three-inch Model 1917M1 on
fixed Model 1917 mounts, were placed on the top of Rodeo Hill
east of the two fire control stations associated with Battery
Wallace. The first two guns placed there in 1925 were Nos. 68
and 196 from the Watertown Arsenal. In 1933 they were dismounted
and sent to the Watervliet Arsenal in New York. A year later
two new guns, Nos. 142 and 151 were received and mounted. In
1937 an additional gun was mounted. Each battery had a shelter
for the director and the switchboard, and a tool and oil house.
The director was located on a hill 800 feet north of the battery.
The battery was assigned four searchlights, an observation post,
and three machine gun platoons.
For most of its history, the Site was
named simply "Anti-Aircraft Battery". At some time
during World War II, it was designated as "Antiaircraft
Battery No. 2", a designation that was used for the remainder
of its operational history.
The three concrete mounts plugs are still