Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
(Camp Jaqua, Camp
The fort was established primarily as
a Civil War post on August 5, 1863, on the travel route between
Fort Humboldt and Fort
Gaston and its garrison attempted to reconcile differences
between the area's settlers and Indians without significant success.
The fort was reportedly situated on Yeager (Iaqua) Creek about
18 miles east of the mouth of the Eel River, in Humboldt County.
The post was abandoned on August 9, 1866.