Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Fort San Bernardino
sketch of Fort San Bernardino by William Rich Hutton in 1852.
From this Mormon stockade, the City of San Bernardino has grown.
Courtesy of the Huntington Library, San Marino
In 1851 Mormons built
a 300-by-720-foot, 12-foot-high stockade when the town of San
Bemardino was threatened d by an Indian attack. The post, later
renamed Fort San Bemardino, soon extended far beyond its original
limits. In 1855 small elements of the Army were stationed here
for a short time. The site is now occupied by the courthouse
located on Arrowhead Avenue between 3rd and 4th Streets in the
center of downtown San Bernardino.
For more information concerning
18th century posts at San Bernardino, CLICK HERE