Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Fort Seward
(Camp on the Eel River)
Located on the upper Eel River, 65 miles southeast of Fort Humboldt, Fort Seward was established on September 25, 1861, by Captain Charles S. Lovell, 6th Infantry. The post was named for the then secretary of state, William H. Seward. Although it was actually abandoned in April, 1862, it has been variously reported as being abandoned in 1863 and 1866.