Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Grey Butte Auxiliary Field
(Victorville AAF Auxiliary Field
Grey Butte Auxiliary
SITE NAME: Grey
Butte Auxiliary Field #4, formerly "Victorville Army Air
Field Auxiliary No.4 (Grey Butte Field)."
LOCATION: Grey Butte, California 23 miles west of Victorville.
SITE HISTORY: Real estate records
during Army Air Forces' possession are not available. Documentation
found from the current owner indicates the field was in use from
July 1943 to the early 1950's. The U.S. Army constructed four
runways of bituminous material with B-2 runway (portable) lighting
and mobile flood lighting. There were no hangars, shops or gasoline
tanks on site. The current owner representative Harry Smith stated
that some smaller buildings were on site but were demolished
around 1968. No tanks or other hazards exist to his knowledge.
The site was purchased from the government between 1953 and 1955
by John Tudor, et. ale for about $50.00 an acre. A water well
was the only improvement on site. The McDonnell Corporation leased
the property in the 1960's. In May 1984, McDonnell Douglas Technologies
Inc. purchased the property from the Tudor Estate. Currently
the site is being used as a microwave measurement station. There
is a well developed complex of approximately fifteen metal buildings
and an antenna farm on site.