In November 1943, the War Department initially acquired 11.78 acres by lease in the area known as the Half Moon Bay Colony Subdivision. The purpose of this area has yet to be determined, but the Station List of the Army of the United States, published on 1 June 1943 by the Adjutant General of the U.S. Army indicates that the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion, 125th Infantry Regiment (Western Defense Command) and a detachment of one of its rifle companies were in the vicinity.
From January to April 1943 the USACE began acquiring land by purchase and condemnation proceedings in area between the Public Road Administration's tract and State Highway 1. In this area, the USACE contracted taxiway that were connected to the a now extended runway, protective revetments, fuel storage and distribution systems, roadways, and administrative buildings. When completed, the Site had a single bituminous runway measuring 5,000 feet x 150 feet, two fuel units, each capable fueling four aircraft simultaneously, protective revetments for 23 aircraft and billeting and messing facilities for small garrison of 56 enlisted soldiers and six officers. Available documents do not indicate the presence of maintenance or ammunition storage facilities.
As a sub-base of the Salinas
Army Air Base, the Site would have supported that base's ground
support mission to train light observation and reconnaissance
squadrons. These would have been light aircraft and fighters modified
with camera equipment. Salinas Army Air base also had the mission
of conducting coastal patrols. As such, the Site would have been
garrisoned by a detachment of the 301st Base Headquarters and
Air Base Squadron. (armyairforces.com)
With the reorganization of the Army Air Forces that took place in the first quarter of 1944, the Site was transferred to Air Technical Service Command and garrisoned by its own unit, the 4159th Army Air Forces Base Unit (Air Base). The mission of this unit was to operate the airfield for emergency landings, transient aircraft, and training missions. Other than refueling aircraft, no aircraft services would have been available. At the same time as this reorganization, the War Department terminated the leases that made up the 11.78 acre tract northwest of the reservation. (armyairforces.com)
On 1 June 1945, the War Department issued a five year permit to the U.S. Navy to operate the Site as "Outlying Field, Half Moon Bay". Per Physical Properties and Facilities of the Principal Naval Activities and Offices Located in the 12th Naval District, dated June 1945, the Site was:
As an outlying field under Naval Air Station Moffett Field, to furnish facilities for utility aircraft providing target towing service for the Anti-Aircraft Training Center, Point Montera, California.
With the end of World War II, the U.S. Navy ended training at the Point Montera site. With that in mind, the U.S. Navy terminated its permit with the War Department on 5 March 1946 and returned control to the War Department. The USACE in turn declared the site excess to the needs of the U.S. Army on 1 August 1946. Custody of the 217.68 acre War Department tract was assumed by the War Assets Administration (WAA) on 1 February 1947. Concurrent with the change of custody was the WAA's issuance of a license to the County of San Mateo to operate a public airport on the Site. In a letter from the Civil Aeronautics Administration to the Chief of the Airports Division of the WAA dated 4 February 1947, the that agency is informed that the similar action was being taken by the Public Roads Administration to allow the County of San Mateo to use the runway pending formal transfer.
On 26 September 1947, the War Assets Administration quitclaimed the 217.68 acre tract to the County of San Mateo. Language in that quitclaim deed indicates that this conveyance was done simultaneously as the Public Roads Administration's conveyance of its 110.66 acre tract to the County of San Mateo.
Building No. Purpose Type of Constuction T-1 Operations Building & Control Tower Theater of Operations T-2 Pump House Theater of Operations T-3 Supply Building Theater of Operations T-4 Barracks Theater of Operations T-5 Latrine Theater of Operations T-6 Mess Hall Theater of Operations T-7 Bachelor Officers Quarters Theater of Operations T-8 Sentry Box Theater of Operations T-9 Barracks Theater of Operations T-10 Racks, Grease Theater of Operations T-11 Dispatch Shack Theater of Operations T-12 Utility Shack Theater of Operations T-13 Septic Tank Not Available T-14 Siren Tower Not Available T-15 Women's Air Service Pilots Quarters Theater of Operations T-16 Pump House Theater of Operations T-17 Radio Repair Theater of Operations T-18 Farm House Preexisting Structure T-19 Barn Preexisting Structure T-20 Wind Indicator Not Available T-21 Gasoline Storage Two 15,000-gallon steel tanks T-22 Gasoline Storage 21,000-gallon steel tank T-23 Flagpole Wood T-101 Shack Theater of Operations T-102 Shack Theater of Operations
Source: War Assets Administration SPB-5 Report (Appendix A)
- All building have been removed
Corps of Engineers Maps