The first HULL was launched by
Harlan & Hollingsworth of Wilmington, Del., 21 June 1902,
sponsored by Miss Mabel Hull, a descendant of Commodore Hull;
and commissioned 20 May 1903, Lt. S. S. Robinson in command.
During her first 2 years of service, HULL
engaged in patrol and training maneuvers off Newport and in Chesapeake
Bay. After a cruise to the Caribbean January April 1905 she returned
to League Island, Pa., where she decommissioned 30 September
The HULL was recommissioned 14
November 1906 at Philadelphia and took part in winter exercises
with fleet units in Cuban waters. After operations off Newport
the ship returned to Norfolk in October 1907 to prepare for the
voyage of the Great White Fleet. HULL sailed as an escort
vessel 2 December and after stopping at many South American and
Central American ports on the voyage around South America with
the great battleships, arrived San Diego 28 April 1907. HULL
was detached on the west coast, and the Great White Fleet continued
on its cruise, showing the flag around the world. The destroyer
remained in the vicinity of San Francisco until departing 24
August 1908 for a cruise to the South Pacific. She took part
in various exercises in Hawaiian and Samoan waters before returning
to San Diego in November.
spent the years before World War I on patrol and training exercises
off the California coast. She decommissioned 30 October 1912
and Joined the Reserve Torpedo Division at Mare Island, with
which she made occasional training cruises to California ports.
It was during this time the she served as a training vessel for
the California Naval Militia When America
entered the war in April 1917 HULL was being refitted
at Mare Island. She sailed with other destroyers for the Canal
Zone 25 April 1917 and for the next 3 months was engaged in defensive
patrol off the western approaches to that vital waterway. She
sailed to Norfolk 26 July for escort and patrol duty along the
East Coast. In the months that followed HULL escorted
ships to Bermuda and engaged in training maneuvers with other
ships of the fleet as well. In June 1918 she broke up an attack
by German submarine U-151 on a merchant ship, and often rescued
sailors from sinking ships. She continued this vital ocean patrol
duty until the end of the war.
arrived Philadelphia 29 January 1919, and decommissioned 7 July
1919. She was sold 5 January 1921 to Joseph G. Hitner of Philadelphia.