LOCATION: The site is located approximately 2.5 miles northeast of Huron, Fresno County, California.
SITE HISTORY: Huron Auxiliary Field #2 was used by the Army Air Forces Western Flying Training Command and also for Lemoore Basic Flying School. It was used by the 4th Air Force. Site improvements included the grading and oiling of 199.7 acres; installation of 13,685 linear feet of fencing; erection of an airfield headquarters building, crash truck shelter, stage house, and latrine.
The War Department placed the property in
a category of surplus effective 15 October 1944. There were no
restrictions, conditions, restoration, or recapture clauses indicated.
The property was reported as excess to the War Assets Administration
(WAA) on 10 February 1945. The WAA assumed accountability for
the property on 10 October 1947. Title to 350.80 acres was revested
in former owner by Order of the District Court on 6 April 1948.
The land is currently used for agricultural
Source: US Army Corps of Engineers, Sacramento District
Posted 1 January 2009
|Subscribe to California Military History|
|Browse Archives at groups-beta.google.com|