LOCATION: Fresno County, California, 15 miles east of Coalinga, CA
SITE NAME: Indian Auxiliary Field No. 3. Also referred as Indian Auxiliary Landing Field; Lemoore Flying School; Lemoore Army Airfield, Auxiliary No. 3 (Indian), Huron.
SITE HISTORY: The 641.60 acres that compose the former Indian Auxiliary Field were acquired by the U.S. Government by Declaration of Taking in 1944. Prior to acquisition, the site was native pasture and had not been farmed. The site was developed as an auxiliary landing field by the Army Air Forces in connection with the Lemoore Basic Flying School. The improvements were hard surfaced runways, fencing, crash truck shelter, stage house, control tower, motor house, and latrine.
On 15 October 1944, the site was declared
surplus to the War Assets Administration (WAA). The WAA assumed
accountability of the site on 12 September 1946. Available records
do not indicate if any deed clauses, provisions, or restrictions
existed for the site.
Updated 1 January 2009
|Subscribe to California Military History|
|Browse Archives at groups-beta.google.com|