Torpedo Boat Batteries, Harbor Defenses of Los Angeles
by Justin M. Ruhge
In 1942 five batteries of AMTB guns protected
the San Pedro Harbor. There were four batteries of 90-mm guns
and 37-mm guns and one of only 37-mm guns. These were fast-firing
weapons, which were supplemented with 50-caliber machine guns
and searchlights as needed. The 90-mm batteries were four guns,
two of which were permanent and two mobile. These were supplemented
with two mobile 37-mm guns.
These batteries were located at the Gaffey
Bulge where Gaffey Street winds around Battery Leary-Merriam;
JAAN No. 1, Navy Field; JAAN No. 2, Bluff Park; and Terminal Island.
The fifth battery was designated Dolphins.
This was a line of 10 37-mm guns on towers with searchlights located
along the harbor breakwater - making a total of 34 guns.
AMTB JAAN No 1 was armed with two M1903
3-Inch Seacoast Guns.