Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Long Beach Ammunition Loading
Los Angeles Port of Embarkation
Port of Long Beach, Pier A, Berths 6, 8 and 10, on 1493 Panorama
Drive, Long Beach, California.
Site History: 29.21 acres were leased (W-04-193-Eng-2247)
by the War Department. After a thorough records search the exact
date of land acquisition by lease was not found. The period of
use has been documented as being during World War II and lease
acquisition is assumed to have occurred during this time. The
Army used the Long Beach Ammunition Loading Pier - Los Angeles
Port of Embarkation for loading ammunition onto sea-going military
vessels. On 15 April 1947 the 29.21 acre lease was terminated.
8.26 acres of 29.21 acres were reacquired by a lease (W-04-353-Eng-1998)
that was terminated 3 February 1949. The former Long Beach Ammunition
Loading Pier - Los Angeles Port of Embarkation, prior to Pier
A expansion in 1984, extended the length of Berths 6, 8 and 10
(then called Berths 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10). The expansion added 24.00
new acres of land to the northwest portion of the pier and the
entire pier was raised in elevation by fill addition.
The property is owned by the City of Long
Beach, which leases it to Long Beach Container Terminal, Inc.
and is used for unloading/ loading containerized sea cargo.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster