The Los Angeles State Armory
(later referred to as the Exposition Park Armory) is a building
located in Exposition Park, Los Angeles, California. It was built
in 1912 and designed by architect J.W. Wollett. The building
served as the armory for the 160th Infantry Regiment between World
War I and World War II
The armory hosted the fencing
competition at the 1932 Summer Olympics as well as the fencing
part of the modern pentathlon. It seated 1,800 for the event.
It also served as an exposition hall and ballroom during the early-
and mid-20th century. In 1947, the armory was converted into a
bowling alley and hosted a tournament of the American Bowling
The 160th left in 1961,
and the building was used as headquarters for the Board of Trustees
of the California State Colleges in the 1960s It then served
as exhibit space for the Los Angeles Museum of Science and Industry
(now the California Science Center) from the 1960s to the 1980s,
before being closed in 1990 due to seismic concerns.
The building is currently
an annex of the California Science Center, serving as the Science
Center School and the Amgen Center for Science Learning since
2004. It is now known as The Wallis Annenberg Building.
Currently the building serves
as the fictitious "Jeffersonian Institute" in the television
1 "GROUND IS BROKEN
FOR SPLENDID STATE ARMORY". Los Angeles Times. 1912-12-08.
2 "Lineages and Honors of the California National Guard:
160th Infantry Regiment (Seventh California)". Retrieved
3 1932 Summer Olympics official report. pp. 67-8, 70, 78, 84.
4 "Hammers Fly as Work Starts on A.B.C. Lanes". Los
Angeles Times. 1947-03-04.
5 "College Trustees Await Guard Units Transfer: Negotiations
Under Way to Move Outfits From Exposition Park". 1961-08-07.
Park Mobilization Camp
A panoramic photograph of the Los Angeles
Exposition Park Mobilization Camp during the California National
Guard's mobilization during the 1916-1917 Mexican Border Crisis.
The Exposition Park Armory (also known as the 7th Regiment Armory
and now the California Science Center) is in the background.
The photo identifies the following units of the 1st California
Brigade at this camp on 1 November 1916:
1st Separate Squadron of Cavalry (Units
located thoughout the state.)
2nd Infantry Regiment (Sacramento and
San Joaquin Valleys, now 184th Infantry Regiment)
7th Infantry Regiment (Los Angeles, Orange,
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties, now 160th and 185th Infantry
California operated a second mobilization
camp at the California State Fairgrounds on Stockton Boulevard
in Sacramento, This site is now the Univercity of California
at Davis Medical Center. Units missing from the picture and may
have been at the State Fairgrounds were:
5th Infantry Regiment (San Francisco Bay
Area, later 159th Infantry Regiment)
1st Separate Battalion of Field Artillery
(Oakland, Sacramento and Stockton, now 143rd Field Artillery
1st Separate Battalion of Engineers (Sacramento
and Los Angeles, now Headquarters Company, 115th Regional Support
Group and 578th Brigade Engineer Battalion)
Several company sized units mobilized
at both locations.
The above image photographed by the Charles
Z. Bailey Studio located at 311 South Figuetoa Street, Los Angeles.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster