Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
March Air Force Base Communications
Annex No. 2
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1991)
The former March AFB Communication
Annex No. 2 was located in Riverside County, California approximately
15 miles northwest of Riverside, California. The site originally
consisted of 195 acres. The land of the Communication Annex was
part of the Mira Loma Quartermaster Depot which was established
in 1942. The 195 acres were transferred to March AFB on 1 January
1965, for use as a communications site.
Facilities on the former March AFB Communication
Annex No. 2 site included a series of antennae, World War II
vintage wooden buildings, and one building of concrete block
construction. These facilities were used in conjunction with
the Air Force's Giant Talk project.
On 6 June 1983, March AFB Communication Annex No. 2 was declared
excess. On 9 December 1983, 10 acres were quitclaimed to Ivan
and Vilma Halaj, Vartkes and Jean Barsam, and Seymour and Betty
Joyce Waterman. On 23 June 1986, the other 185 acres of the site
were quitclaimed to the County of Riverside, Asset Leasing Corporation.
In both quitclaim deeds the United States of America reserved
all rights in or to any oil, gas and other hydrocarbon substances
and all other minerals in, or under the subject.
Currently 185 acres of the site are owned
by the County of Riverside Assets Leasing Corporation, 10 acres
are owned by Space Center Mira Lorna Inc., and .07 acres are
owned by the Federal Government. The site is located in an industrial
area of Mira Loma, California, surrounded mainly by business
parks. The Army and Air Force improvements remaining on the site
are mostly asphalt roads across the site.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster