Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Mirage Lake Glider School
A CG-4 Glider landing
at Mirage Lake
US Army Corps
of Engineers Los Angeles District History (1991)
The former Mirage Lake Glider School
was located at El Mirage Dry Lake about 14 miles west of Adelanto
and 18 miles northwest of Victorville, San Bernardino County.
The US Army Air Forces acquired 1,292.72 acres of public domain
land from the Department of the Interior by Public Land Order
No. 110, dated 14 April 1943. The remaining 644.19 acres acquired
were privately owned land and were leased by the War Department.
The mirage Lake Glider School site was used as an advanced glider
training school for the Victorville Army Flying School (Victorville
Army Air Field and later George Air Force Base). According to
the Corps of Engineers, letter dated 6 December, 1946, there
were no War Department constructed improvements on this land.
The Army declared the Mirage Lake Glider School land surplus
to the requirements of the war Department. A letter dated 6 December
1946 from the Army to the BLM stated that there are no War Department
constructed improvements on this land and restoration thereof
is not required. The transferred 1,292.72-acre area was disposed
of by relinquishment to the Department of the Interior, effective
6 December, 1946, and retransferred by Public Land order No.
529 dated 24 November 1948. The leases totaling 644.19 acres
were canceled during the period of 17 July 1946 through 2 September
1946. Approximately 1,298 acres of the land is presently managed
by the Bureau of Land Management. The BLM land is open area for
recreation use (i.e., off-road vehicles). The remaining land
has been subdivided and belongs to private individuals. The private
land has not been developed.
Department Inventory of Owned, Sponsored and Leased Facilities,
Combat Crew Training Station-Fighter
Theater of Operations:
644 acres (four leases)
Cost to Government Since 1 July 1940:
Annual lease payments: $82.00
Total (less annual leases): $7,125.00
1,942 acres transferred from the Department of the Interior.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster