Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Montague Auxiliary Field
This should not be confused for the Siskyou
County Airport also located in Montague.
The municipal airport at Montague was created at its present
location in 1928. The maintenance hangar and a small weather
observatory building were built in 1928. Civilian Conservation
Corps funds helped to bring in large quantities of gravel to
stabilize the landing area in the early 1930s. Originally the
airport was only a north-south dirt strip. A crosswind runway
was added in the 1930s. A small amount of paving was added to
the south end of the original strip in the 1950s to accommodate
drag racing by automobiles, not aircraft.
During World War II, the airport was designated
as Montague Auxiliary Field, and was an auxiliary training airfield
for Hamilton Field, California.
The airport returned to civil control
in 1945 after the war. The last major improvement consisted of
lengthening the runway by six hundred feet to its present 3360
feet in 1982.
US Army Air Field Directory of Airfields (January 1945)
Department Inventory of Owned, Sponsored and Leased Facilities,
Mobilization (Quartermaster Corps 700-Series
or Corps of Engineers 800-Series):
Theater of Operations:
Cost to Government Since 1 July 1940:
includes $1,077,455.00 of Civil Aviation Authority funds. Declared
surplus 24 January 1945.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster