Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Mount Laguna Ground to Air Transmit
and Receive (GATR) Annex
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1985)
The site of the former Mount Laguna
GATR Annex which was a sub-installation of Mount Laguna AFS.
The US Air Force acting through the US Army Corps of Engineers
obtained 114.678 acres by a Special Use Permit dated 20 March
1956 from the US Forest Service (USFS). The GATR site itself
contains only 14.76 acres of the 114.678 acres.
The majority of the construction was completed
in 1960 with addition in 1961, 1966, 1967 and 1978.
In 1980 the facility was determined to
be excess to the needs of the US Air Force. The personal property
and equipment that was not permanently attached to the real estate
was removed and the in place real estate improvements were reported
excess to the General Services Administration (GSA) in 1981.
By Memorandum of Understanding for protection and maintenance
of excess and surplus real property executed in 1984. GSA assumed
responsibility for the cost of protection and maintenance.
At some time in the late 1980s the site
was returned to the USFS.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster