Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve
(Naval Industrial Reserve Ordnance
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1994)
In October 1952, the Department of the Navy procured 164.62 acres
of non-contiguous land in what is now the City of Pomona from
Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Company (164.52 acres in fee and
0.10 in easement).
The site was designated as Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve Plant
(NWIRP) and is now designated as Naval Industrial Reserve Ordnance
Plant (NIROP) . The plant has been leased to several Department
of Defense contractors for the production of weapons systems.
The Department of Navy has sold two parcels from this original
site. One parcel (0.98) is on the northwest corner of the original
site and is now owned and occupied by a distributing company,
Gearmore, Inc. This parcel was quitclaimed by the Navy in 1978.
The other parcel (0.60 acre) was quitclaimed by the Navy to the
City of Pomona in 1962. The City constructed water storage structures
on the site in 1978. The Navy still owns the balance of the site,
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster