Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfield
Naval Outlying Field Jacumba
US Army Corps of Engineers History
LOCATION: The Jacumba Airport site is
located approximately 1.5 miles east of the town of Jacumba,
California, on the south side of u.s. Highway 80. The landing
strip runs east-west and is adjacent to the U.S./ Mexico border.
SITE HISTORY: The U.S. Navy acquired this site through condemnation
on 15 July 1941. The Navy constructed a dirt airstrip and a windsock
on the site. The airstrip was used by the Navy as an emergency
landing field for military aircraft until 1947. The airstrip
and property were declared excess to the immediate needs of the
Eleventh Naval District, San Diego, by letter of 13 February
1947 from the Chief of the Bureau of Aeronautics to the Chief
of Naval Operations. It was recommended that the airstrip be
made available for leasing, subject to the joint use of the Navy
for landing purposes in common with the lessee. The Navy subsequently
entered into a lease agreement with the County of San Diego for
their use of the airstrip on 25 August 1947.
The County of San Diego leased the airstrip
on a yearly basis until 1953. The U.S. General Services Administration
declared the Jacumba Airport property surplus on 16 June 1953.
On 7 July 1953, the County of San Diego applied to transfer the
property from the Navy to the County. The General Services Administration
executed a Quitclaim Deed on 14 August 1953 transferring the
113.2 acres of property to the County of San Diego. The airport
property is still owned and operated by the County.
Angeles District, US Army Corps of Engineers
Air Forces Directory of Airfields, January 1945
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster