Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Naval Outlying Field, South Coyote
(Naval Outlying Field, Coyote
Wells No. 1)
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (3 June 1992)
This site was apparently established in
1939 by the US Navy, and consisted of 220 or 320 acres. A Naval
Shore Activity summary report, dated approximately october 1955,
indicates that the site was 220 acres; however, 1940 and 1941
annual reports from the Commandant of the Eleventh Naval District
to the secretary of the Navy indicate that the site was 320 acres.
Further information concerning the size or acquisition of this
property was not found.
This site was established by the Eleventh Naval District as an
unsurfaced, emergency, outlying landing field. Apparently, the
only improvements made to this property were the leveling and
grading of three unpaved runways, the placement of approach markers,
and the installation of a wind sock.
The above-mentioned Naval Shore Activity Summary report indicates
that this site was declared excess 31 October 1955. Further information
concerning the disposal of this outlying field was not found.
The site is currently vacant desert (with the exception of some
of the former approach markers) and is under private ownership.