Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Naval Supply Center, San Diego
(Naval Supply Depot San Diego,
Fleet and Industrial Supply Center San Diego)
The main Navy Region Southwest offices
are located in downtown San Diego at 937 North Harbor Drive on
the corner of North Harbor Drive and Broadway. Parking is available
at the Broadway Complex for customers and VIP visitors in front
of the building and on the Navy Pier. Metered parking is available
adjacent to the Complex as well as several parking lots across
the street on Broadway and Pacific Highway.
In May 1999 the Coast Guard conduct the
Port of San Diego's first field exercise of the San Diego Port
Readiness Committee. The San Diego Port Readiness Committee,
led by the Coast Guard and includes military and public agencies,
tested its ability to coordinate and provide security during
a major military outload. In this exercise, Marine Corps hardware
and supplies were moved by rail from Camp Pendleton to the Port
of San Diego and were loaded onto the 640-foot Maritime Administration
vessel CAPE ISABEL. The US Army Reserve, Military Transportation
Management Command out of Meridian, MS marshalled the materials
and loaded the vessel.
The Coast Guard Captain of the Port established
an exercise security zone to protect the vessel and materials
from various staged threats, including terrorist attacks. Coast
Guard boat crews applied their recently honed tactical defense
skills to maintain waterside security for the vessel while it
was being loaded. Lessons learned during this exercise were used
to enhance the readiness of the Port Readiness Committee organization
and the Port of San Diego to support a military outload.
Two valuable command and communication
tools were tried in this exercise, the Boarder Tactical (BORTAC)
communications system and the Incident Command System (ICS).
BORTAC is a Navy-run system that allows our local military and
public service agencies to communicate by radio while using their
own standard equipment and frequencies. For instance, using BORTAC,
the coxswain of a Coast Guard boat can use his own marine radio
and regular frequency to communicate with a Fire Department unit
on their standard radios. This was the first Port Readiness Committee
exercise using ICS. ICS is a unified approach to managing crisis
response operations involving multiple agencies and jurisdictions.
It was originally designed for large scale fire-fighting situations
but has since been extensively applied any type of emergency
including floods, earthquakes, oil spills, fires and even planned
USS BENFOLD (DDG 65) joined the Pacific
Fleet during commissioning ceremonies on 30 March 1996 at Broadway
Pier, San Diego.
As the centerpiece of the San Diego Aircraft
Carrier Museum, the Midway berthed on the south side of Navy
Pier 11A just south of Broadway. The Port of San Diego approved
the environmental impact report in April 2001.
In the early 1900s, Pacific Fleet ships
routinely anchored in the harbor at the foot of Broadway making
it a natural site for a supply depot. In 1922, the Naval Supply
Depot, San Diego was formally established. A small pier was constructed
and the first materials were moved into the Depot's warehouse
in February 1923. The facilities were built on filled-in tideland
deeded to the U. S. Government by the city of San Diego in September
1919. The Broadway Pier was constructed in 1913 with a $1.7 million
bond issued by the city.
During the 1980s the Navy hoped to build
about 1 million square feet of office space on the site of the
former 16-acre Naval Supply Depot, a prime piece of real estate
between Pacific Highway, Harbor Drive, Broadway and Market Street.
The financing for the Navy's new office space was to come from
private developers, who would build offices and hotels on the
Navy property. But market conditions deteriorated, putting the
major development proposal in the deep freeze. Some buildings
on the Broadway Complex site have been demolished, but so far,
nothing new has replaced them. The Navy is making do with the
remaining antiquated office buildings, which are getting a new
coat of paint. However the current need is closer to 600,000
square feet. Planners say they will work with the Navy in an
effort to provide needed office space within the framework of
the emerging North Embarcadero Plan.
As part of a City of San Diego and Navy
EIR/EIS program, the proposed redevelopment of the Naval Supply
Depot at the foot of Broadway was assessed under Section 106
of the NHPA. The assessment included an architectural/historical
survey and recordation of all structures on the Naval Supply
Depot that fell within the perimeters of potentially historic
buildings. A HABS/HAER analysis was completed for each historic
building, resulting in a National Register evaluation of the
buildings as well as the facility as a potential historic district.
Historic research for the project also identified the potential
for the presence of remnants of the shanty town that grew along
the waterfront of New Town between the 1860s to 1900, but was
buried by dredged sand from the bay when the tidelands were filled
and the bulkhead was constructed in the early 1900s. The cultural
resources report for the Navy Broadway Complex was jointly reviewed
by the Navy, the SHPO, and the City of San Diego for compliance
and was accepted. To reduce the effect of the project on cultural
resources, a number of measures were proposed, including the
preservation of the primary buildings that were historically
significant and met the criteria for eligibility to the National
In 1941, the current Navy Pier was built
and a south wing added to the original six-story supply depot.
A seven-story warehouse was constructed alongside in 1943. That
same year, the Depot was assigned management of the La Playa Coaling Station at Point Loma. Built
in 1904, La Playa Coaling Station was the first permanent Navy
logistics shore establishment in San Diego. By the late 1940s,
eight more warehouses were constructed at the Broadway Naval
Station Annex to support expanding material storage needs.
The significant growth in the Naval Supply
Depot's customer base resulted in its recommissioning as the
Naval Supply Center (NSC) San Diego in 1959. A sister Supply
Center in Long Beach closed in 1973 as part of a Navy initiative
to streamline shore establishments and NSC San Diego assumed
logistics support for the Naval Shipyard, Naval Station, and
ships homeported in Long Beach. In 1980, as a result of additional
consolidation, NSC San Diego assumed responsibility for selected
Naval Air Station North Island Supply Department aviation material
and related functions.
In 1992, NSC San Diego transferred its
warehouse operations to the Defense Logistics Agency, payroll
and accounting operations to the Defense Finance and Accounting
Center, and data processing operations to the Defense Information
Systems Agency as part of Department of Defense streamlining
initiatives to reduce costs.
Based on these changes and related infrastructure
studies, the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC) concept
was born. With a new mission to become business partners with
Navy and Marine Corps shore and industrial activities, FISC provides
a full range of consumer level business, logistics and support
services. In addition, FISC provides "one stop" coordination
for all ship, aviation and shore activity supply support requirements
and serves as the link between Navy and Marine Corps customers
and the centralized services of major Defense Agencies.
Fleet and Industrial Supply Center [FISC]
San Diego provides logistics, business and support services to
fleet, shore and industrial commands of the Navy, Coast Guard
and Military Sealift Command, and other Joint and Allied Forces.
The FISC delivers combat capability through logistics by teaming
with regional partners and customers to provide material management,
procurement, contracting and transportation services, technical
and customer support, defense fuel products and worldwide movement
of personal property.
The FISC prototype has evolved greatly
since its inception in 1992. Early partnerships were established
with Naval Amphibious Base Coronado, NAS North Island and Naval
Station San Diego. In 1993, a Naval Supply Systems Command infrastructure
review developed a "FISC centered" procurement strategy.
In 1994, FISCs and Naval Regional Contracting Centers (NRCCs)
were merged in order to reduce costs and improve responsiveness.
The FISC and NRCC San Diego merger, along with their respective
Long Beach detachment, resulted in a Regional Contracting Department
that awards $400 million in large contracts and small purchases
With the upgrade of Uniform Automated
Data Processing System for Stock Points (U2), FISC San Diego
pioneered the era of inventory sharing through centralized management
of multiple inventory sites. FISC San Diego, with the NAS North
Island as its partner, implemented the first U2 partner site
in 1993. In 1994, FISC San Diego partnered with the Naval Aviation
Depot North Island, Naval Station San Diego, and Long Beach Naval
Shipyard. In 1995, as the result of a business case analysis,
FISC San Diego partnered with Commander, Marine Corps Air Bases
Western Area and became the inventory manager for Marine Corps
Air Stations El Toro and Yuma.
Responding to Surface Mine Counter Measure
community needs, FISC San Diego assumed the Ingleside Detachment
from FISC Pensacola when they closed. Other partnerships during
recent years include Naval Air Warfare Center China Lake, Naval
Weapons Station Seal Beach, Shore Intermediate Maintenance Activity
(SIMA) San Diego, SIMA Ingleside, NAS Lemoore, CBC Port Hueneme,
Naval Air Weapons Station Point Mugu, and Naval Reserve Air Stations
and Joint Reserve bases at Atlanta, Fort Worth, New Orleans,
Santa Clara, Washington D.C., Willow Grove, and Stewart. In 1998
FISC San Diego became the Supply Logistics Assistant Chief of
Staff to Commander, Navy Region, Southwest.
The Naval Supply Systems Command's Competitive
Sourcing Strategy, which focused primarily on Commercial Activity
(A-76) studies, resulted in the following outcomes. In 1999,
decisions were made to retain in-house the Global Advanced Traceability
and Control (ATAC) and Fuels functions. In 2000, final decisions
were made to retain in-house the Navy Region Southwest's Personal
Property Services function, and to outsource the Region's Hazardous