S. 0. Houghton, Captain, Commissioned May
J. B. Hewson, First Lieutenant, Commissioned May 1859
On April 13, 1857, in San Jose, Santa Clara County, a volunteer militia company was organized and sworn into the service of the State. This company was known as the National Guard, and with the posting of a $2,500 penal bond, the unit received their arms and accoutrements and became one of the well equipped military organizations of the State
There was only a meager source, of information concerning this company's activities, and it was not until 1859, that the commission date of; the company officers appeared on record.
With the outbreak of the War of the Rebellion in 1861, a great many members joined the regular United States Army or the California Volunteers. Because of this fact, the National Guard was not able to keep its membership up to the minimum standard required by the Military Law of 1850, and the company disbanded during the latter part of the year 1861.