Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Naval Direction Finder Station,
Point Fermin Lighthouse
US Army Corps of Engineer Los Angeles
District History (1999)
The U.S. Navy (USN) acquired 3.0 acres
by lease on 18 May 1920 from the Lighthouse Bureau, Department
of Commerce. The USN may have had use of the site starting in
1919. Records were neither complete nor specific.
The USN used the site to operate a radio direction finder. Improvements
constructed or used by the USN included a radio direction finder
building, a radio direction finder transmitter powerhouse, a
paint storage locker, three antenna masts, and possibly a garage,
and a galley/mess hall building. The Army used two small areas
of the site (approximately 42 square feet each) by unknown means,
incidental to USN occupation for the placement of two range finders.
In 1948 the City of Los Angeles assumed control of the northern
portion of the site now known as Point Fermin Lighthouse Park.
It is likely that the 3.0-acre lease was terminated and the USN
vacated the property at that time. Control of the southern portion
of the property reverted to the U.S. Coast Guard. (The Lighthouse
Bureau was consolidated with the Coast Guard in 1939.) Records
were neither complete nor specific. The site is currently owned
by the City of Los Angeles and the U.S. Coast Guard. City property
is used for Point Fermin Lighthouse Park. Coast Guard property
is used for an automatic light beacon and a guest house. Two
remaining USN improvements are used beneficially. The Los Angeles
Police Department uses the former radio direction finder transmitter
power house for radio transmitter/receiver equipment. The concrete
foundation of the former radio direction finder building supports
a small wooden shed which is used by the Los Angeles County Lifeguard.
No other USN improvements are known to remain on the site.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster