Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
There is sufficient evidence to support
the existence of Section Base Monterey.
In communications with Mr. Jim Conway,
City of Monterey Museum Coordinator, and Mr Tim Thomas of the
Monterey Maritime Museum, we have established the following facts:
That the US Navy did operate Landing Craft
Vehicle and Personnel (LCVP or Higgins Boats) and Landing Craft,
Medium (LCM) from the Wharf II (also know as the Commercial Wharf).
That a housing area was established at
Tevis-Murray estate on Cannery Row. the Tevis-Murray location
is where the current Monterey Plaza hotel is today about 1/4
mile to the Coast Guard jetty.
That the US Coast Guard did have a presence
in Monterey due to the large fishing fleet located there. It
is not known at this time if the Captain of the Port and other
elements of the Coast Guard operated from the Commercial Wharf
or what is know as the Coast Guard Jetty which was built by the
Army Corps of Engineers in 1934. In November 1941 the Coast Guard
was transferred from the Treasury Department to the Navy Department
and remained there until 1946. As such any Coast Guard facilities
would have transferred to the Navy and would have been the basis
of the Section Base. The Coast Guard currently has the 87 foot
USCGC HAWKSBILL (WPB 87312) and smaller motor lifeboats operating
from the jetty. The City of Monterey is investigating the history
of the jetty.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster