The Naval Supply Depot began in 1940 when the city of Oakland sold 500 acres of marshlands to the Navy for $1.00. The Navy reclaimed the land and built several large warehouses to store war materials destined for overseas shipment. By December 15, 1941, 8 days after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Depot was opened for business. It expanded during and after the war and acquired several sub-posts. In the late 1940s it was renamed Naval Supply Center, Oakland and operated throughout the Cold War as one of the Navy's most important and most modern supply facilities.