Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Owl Chemical Warfare Service Plant
(Owl Plant, Chemical Corps; Owl
Established on 14 October 1943, this facility
was one of two plants leased from American Cyanamid Company that
produced Cyanogen Chloride for the New York Chemical Warfare
Procurement District. Along with the Warners, NY plant; over
12,500 tons of the agent were produced for the Atmy's Chemical
Warfare Service (after 1946, Chemical Corps) during World War
II. Cyanogen chloride (CK) is a chemical warfare agent (military
designation CK). CK has strong irritant and choking effects.
Its vapors are extremely irritating and corrosive. Riot control
and chemical agents may have also been produced at this facility.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster