Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Playa Del Rey Fire Control Site
Harbor Defenses Los Angeles
A World War II era fire control site that
provided figing data to Battery
127/Battery Paul D. Bunker at White Point Military Reservation
and the Harbor Defense Command Post at Fort MacArthur.
US Army Corps
of Engineers Los Angeles District History (1993)
The site identified as the former Playa Del Rey Site No. 1 was
comprised of 5 lots within the block bounded by Campbell Street,
Trask Avenue, Barbour Street and Earldom Avenue in the
City of Playa Del Rey, California. (Several very small increments
of land along the coast were also included with this site for
cable use as noted below).
On 19 September 1942, 0.90 acres were acquired by the direct
purchases and condemnations and 0.56 acres were acquired by lease.
Six use permits were acquired which contained "no area".
The site was used as a fire control station as part of the Harbor
Defenses of Los Angeles. During occupation by the US Army, a
steel fire control tower, a generator building, a communication
cable, and a steel fence were constructed.
The property was declared surplus 31 December 1949. On 28 January
1953, 0.89 acres were transferred by fee to the General Services
Administration (GSA) . GSA conveyed the land to David Glassman
and Phillip Kline by Quitclaim Deed dated 29 July 1953. The property
was used for residential purposes. The lease of 0.56 acre from
Standard Oil Company of California was terminated 21 September
1951. The 6 cable rights of way involving "no area"
were transferred to the cities of Los Angeles, Palos Verdes,
Estates Redondo Beach and Torrance, and to the Pacific Electric
Raiway between 27 October 1953 and 1 September 1954. The transfer
agreements relieved the U.S. Government of any responsibility
relative to maintenance or repair of communication cable.
The site is currently being used for residential purposes.
Completed Works - Seacoast Fortification
Images courtesy of Coast
Defense Study Group
War Department Inventory of Owned, Sponsored and Leased Facilities,
Theater of Operations Buildings:
Cost to Government Since 1 July 1940:
Annual lease payments: $1,900.00
Total (less annual leases): $1,900.00
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster