Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Point Sal Air to Ground Gunnery
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1994)
TheWar Department leased 2,944.05 acres
of land from an unknown owner for use by the Army Air Forces
during World War II. The dates of the lease are also unknown.
The area covered by Lease No. W-04-193-ENG-4161 was located 3
miles southwest of Guadalupe, California in Santa Barbara County.
There were no official records found regarding the use of the
site. However, it is believed that the site was used as a target
range to train P-38 pilots from Santa Maria Army Air Field.
On 2 April 1948 the lease aqreement was terminated. The site
is currently owned by the Leroy Trust and used for ranching.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster