Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Red Bluff Housing Annex
by Sgt Maj (CA) Dan Sebby, Historian,
California Military Department
Former Red Bluff Housing Annex was used
by the US Air Force to provide family housing for personnel stationed
at Red Bluff Air Force Station (AFS)
from 1958 to 1972. Table 3 1 summarizes the Site history
from pre-Air Force use (1958) to the present.
Prior to Air Force use, the Site was a portion of the Olive Park
Subdivision and was used as agricultural land.
In 1958, the U.S. Government purchased 4.27 acres to establish
the Red Bluff Housing Annex which provided family housing for
Red Bluff AFS personnel. Construction of 16 single-family houses
was completed in 1960. Other improvements to the Site made by
the U.S. Air Force included water and sewer mains and a roadway.
All the houses were on Acwron street, an acronym for Aircraft
Control and Warning Squadron. Heat was provided to the Site via
public utility services and there were no fuel storage tanks
located on the Site. No as-built maps were obtained for the Site.
On 10 December 1970, the Site was declared surplus property by
the U.S. Army and transferred to the General Services Administration
(GSA). In 1972, the GSA quitclaimed a total of 4.27 acres to
the City of Red Bluff.
The Site was divided into 16 parcels as 16 single-family homes.
The City of Red Bluff sold the 16 parcels to individual grantees
by quitclaim deeds. Currently, all 16 single-family homes are
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster