(Naval Operating Base Terminal
Island, Naval Disciplinary Barracks Terminal Island, Coast Guard
Base Los Angeles-Long Beach)
Coast Guard Cutter
442 at Coast Guard Base Long Beach, 1 July 1937
US Army Corps of Engineers
Los Angelest District History (1994)
The War Department acquired 64.28 acres
known as Reservation Point, by quitclaim deed dated 6 September
1927, incidental to dredging and reclaiming activities. These
acres were then distributed to different military and non-military
agencies. On 2 February 1941, 20.45 acres were transferred to
the U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps. On 17 June 1942, 14.92 acres
(of the 20.45 acres) were retransferred to the Department of
the Navy (Coast Guard). 27.89 acres were "commissioned"
to the Navy from 1944 to 1950. This acreage contained a prison
facility known as Federal Correctional Institute (FCI), operated
by the Department of Justice. The U.S. Army obtained 1.43 acres
by Use Permit, dated 9 October 1943, 0.06 acres by Use Permit,
dated 15 November 1943, and a Use Permit dated 6 October 1944
for 0.08 acres. 14.37 acres remained with the War Department.
Historical real estate documents indicate that the abovementioned
20.45 acres was acquired by the Quartermaster Corps for use as
"storage facilities." No improvements are known to
have been installed by the. Quartermaster Corps, with the possible
exception of hard surfacing. The Navy subsequently acquired part
of this property for use as a Coast Guard facility. It is likely
that the Navy made improvements at the Coast Guard facility,
however, what these improvements may have been is not known.
An FCI, Department of Justice brochure indicated that during
World War II, the Navy used the prison facilities as disciplinary
barracks. The only improvements known to have been installed
as a result of this use are two monuments currently located at
the entrance to the Coast Guard Base. Improvements on 0.06 acre
consisted of barracks. Improvements on 0.08 acre consisted of
an underground cable.
Between 1930 and 1941, approximately 43.95 acres, of the original
64.28 acre Reservation Point, were transferred to other non-military
branches of the government. The 14.92 acres of the above-mentioned
20.45 acres acquired by the Navy for a Coast Guard facility remains
as such. Property occupied by the Coast Guard ceased to be under
the jurisdiction of the Navy on 28 December 1945. The remainder
of the 20.45 acres were transferred as follows:
1.34 acres to the City of Los Angeles
by quitclaim deed dated 27 April 1959
0.08 acre to the Department of the Treasury
(Coast Guard) on 17 April 1961
4.11 acres to the Department of Justice
on 15 December 1961.
A difference of 0.12 acre, between property
acquired (64.28 acres) and property disposed (64.40 acres), has
not been accounted for, however, it is believed that the discrepancy
may be the result of survey and/or record keeping differences.
Currently, Reservation Point is occupied by the US Coast Guard
Support Center, FCI Terminal Island (Department of Justice),
and an Immigration and Naturalization Service Detention Center
(Department of Justice).
US Army Corps of Engineers
Los Angeles District History (1993)
Location: Reservation Point consists of
a peninsula located in the East San Pedro area of the City of
Los Angeles, on the southern end of Terminal Island, California.
Site History: In 1927, the War Department acquired 64.28 acres,
known as Reservation Point, from the City of Los Angeles by quitclaim
deed. This acreage was acquired incidental to dredging and reclaiming
activities, and, for the most part, was transferred to other
branches of the government between 1930 to 1941, with the condition
that the southern most 300 feet of Reservation Point be reserved
for military purposes. Only a portion of Reservation Point was
reassigned to military purposes:
20.45 acres primarily located in the mid-western
portion of the peninsula, were transferred to the U.S. Army Quartermaster
Corps in 1941, for storage purposes. In 1942.
14.92 acres (of the 20.45 acres) were
retransferred to the Navy for use as a Coast Guard facility.
The remaining 5.53 acres (of the 20.45
acres), which consisted of roadways and other hard-surfaced areas,
were quitclaimed to the City of Los Angeles and transferred to
the Department of Justice and Department of Treasury between
1959 and 1961.
The U.S. Army obtained Use Permits from
the Federal Security Agency and from the Navy in 1943 for the
installation of Terminal Island Barrage
Balloon Site "B" (Hereafter a separate history).
Barracks were constructed for this balloon launching site near
the south end of Reservation Point. Permits were relinquished
in 1945 and 1950. Barracks constructed for this installation
do not currently exist at the location described.
The War Department (likely the U.S. Army) obtained Use Permits
from the Navy in 1943 and 1944 for the installation of Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat Battery, Terminal Island
(Herafter a separate history). This gun battery site was located
near the south end of Reservation Point. Permits were relinquished
in 1951 and 1956. The only permanent improvement for this site
was an underground cable.
The Federal Correctional Institution (FCI), Terminal Island (constructed
on property owned by the Department of Justice), located on the
eastern half of Reservation Point, was "commissioned"
to the Navy from approximately 1944 to 1950 for use as disciplinary
Currently Reservation Point is occupied by the Coast Guard and
Department of Justice. It is likely that DOD was responsible
for some improvements at the Coast Guard Base while it was controlled
by the Navy. Any such improvements, if in existence currently,
are probably in beneficial use.
Naval Operating Base (2005)
The Naval Operating Base provided the
following services and operations:
Harbor Craft Base. (2977)
Naval Disciplinary Barracks. (2815)
Naval Radio Station. (40773A)
Navy Accounting Office.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster