California Military Department
The California State Military Museum
A United States Army Museum Activity
Preserving California's Military Heritage
Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Fort Barry: Battery Construction 129
 
Despite its imposing appearance, Battery Construction 129 was never used or completed. It was to be armed with two 16-inch guns mounted. Each gun with its carriage weighed over 1-million pounds and could accurately fire a 2,100 pound shell a distance of 27 miles. This fortification was to have been the highest battery in the San Francisco Bay area.
 
Construction began in 1942. The two guns were to be mounted in the face of the hill, tunneled out to retain a natural appearance and to provide protection from air attack. However, all the work was stopped in 1944, shortly after its guns arrived for mounting. The Army had found that weapons like those at this and similar batteries wouldn't be effective against attacks by aircraft. As a result the fortification was abandoned
 
Construction 129 is only a project number. The battery was never officially named or manned.
 

 
Layout of Battery Construction 129, 1944
 
Report of Completed Works, BCN 129
 
Drawings courtesy of National Archives
 

Battery Construction 129 Today
 
Battery Construction 129 in 2014. The Battery Commander's Station as well as the Battery Control Area for Nike Missile Site SF-87 is located atop of the mountain between the gun emplacements. Trees were perviously removed as part of a historical vegetation restoration program. Image courtesy of the Coast Defense Study Group.
 
The Battery Commander's Station in 2014. Battery Control Area for Nike Missile Site SF-87 was located behind this structure. Image courtesy of the Coast Defense Study Group.
 
Entrance to Battery Construction 129, October 2000
Entrance to Emplacement 1. October 2000. Trees have since been removed as part of a historical vegetation restoration program.
Interior of Emplacement 1, still ready to receive its gun. October 2000
Emplacement 2, October 2000. Trees have since been removed as part of a historical vegetation restoration program.
 
Updated 18 March 2014

[WELCOME] [LOCATION AND HOURS] [CURRENT EXHIBITS] [MG WALTER P. STORY LIBRARY] [SATELLITE AND PARTNER MUSEUMS]
[HOW CAN I HELP?] [WHAT'S NEW?] [UPCOMING EVENTS] [CALIFORNIA MILITARY HISTORY] [ONLINE BOOKSTORE]
[CALIFORNIA CENTER FOR MILITARY HISTORY] [LINKS]

FastCounter by LinkExchange
Questions and comments concerning this site should be directed to the Webmaster