SITE NAME: Also known as Garner Auxiliary #4, Conners; Gardner #4; Conners Auxiliary #4; U.S. Auxiliary Landing Field Connors; Gardner Field Satellite at Conners.
LOCATION: Gardner Auxiliary #4, Conners, is located in southern Kern County approximately 18 miles northeast of the City of Taft and 12 miles south of the City of Bakersfield.
SITE HISTORY: The Army acquired the subject site by lease No. W. 868-2316 from Kern County Land Company on 3 January 1942. The 250-acres site was used as an auxiliary landing field for the basic training of pilots based at Gardner Field. It was one of five auxiliary landing fields associated with Gardner Field. Other than information from the lease, there is scant anecdotal or other written information about the site. There is no evidence that any improvements were made to the site. All persons familiar with military activities in Kern County during World War II stated that no ammunition or ordnance was ever stored or used at auxiliary fields.
The Army disposed of the subject site by
termination of lease in October 1950 according to a list obtained
from the Air Force Real Estate Agency, Bolling Air Force Base.
No other details of the disposal were found. The site is currently
privately owned and under cultivation.
Posted 3 January 2009
|Subscribe to California Military History|
|Browse Archives at groups-beta.google.com|