California State Military Department
The California State Military Museum
Preserving California's Military Heritage
Lineages and Honors of the California National Guard
40th Infantry Division Support Command
Headquarters and Headquarters Company

Constituted 3 December 1941 in the Army of the United States as Company A, 640th Tank Destroyer Battalion

Activated 19 December 1941 at Camp San Luis Obispo, California, with personnel from the Antiaircraft-Antitank Platoons, Headquarters Batteries, 1st and 2d Battalions, 143d Field Artillery

Inactivated 13 January 1946 at Camp Anza, California

Allotted 15 March 1949 to the California Army National Guard; concurrently expanded, reorganized, and Federally recognized as the 140th Heavy Tank Battalion, with Headquarters at Barstow, and assigned to the 40th Infantry Division (later redesignated as the 40th Armored Division)

Ordered into active Federal service 1 September 1950 at home stations. Redesignated 3 October 1950 as the 140th Tank Battalion (140th Tank Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 3 September 1952 with Headquarters at Barstow; location of Headquarters changed 14 April 1953 to Pasadena)

Released 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control with Headquarters at Pasadena; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 140th Tank Battalion (NGUS)

Headquarters and Service Company and Medical Detachment reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1959 as Headquarters Company, 4th Medium Tank Battalion, 185th Armor, an element of the 40th Armored Division (remainder of 140th Tank Battalion as the 4th Battalion, 185th Armor - hereafter separate lineage)

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1963 as Headquarters Company, 4th Battalion, 185th Armor

Converted and redesignated 29 January 1968 as the 2668th Transportation Company and relieved from assignment to the 40th Armored Division; location concurrently changed to Bell

Location changed 13 January 1974 to Long Beach

Converted and redesignated 1 November 1976 as the 40th Infantry Division Materiel Management Center

Consolidated 1 August 1985 with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 40th Infantry Division Support Command (see ANNEX), and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 40th Infantry Division Support Command

Ordered into active Federal service 1 May 1992 at Long Beach; released 9 May 1992 from active Federal service and reverted to state control


Annex

Constituted 28 October 1971 in the California Army National Guard as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 223d Support Group

Organized and Federally recognized 1 November 1971 at Bell

Converted and redesignated 13 January 1974 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 40th Infantry Division Support Command

Location changed 1 November 1976 to Long Beach

HOME STATION: Long Beach
 
Campaign Participation Credit

World War II
 
Bismarck Archipelago
Luzon
Southern Philippines

Korean War
 
Second Korean Winter
Korea, Summer-Fall 1952
Third Korean Winter
Korea, Summer 1953

Decorations

Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered NOJONP-YONG

Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945
 
Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered KOREA 1952-1954


[WELCOME] [LOCATION AND HOURS] [CURRENT EXHIBITS] [MG WALTER P. STORY LIBRARY] [SATELLITE AND PARTNER MUSEUMS]
[HOW CAN I HELP?] [WHAT'S NEW?] [UPCOMING EVENTS] [CALIFORNIA MILITARY HISTORY] [HERALDRY & INSIGNIA] [ONLINE BOOKSTORE]
[CALIFORNIA CENTER FOR MILITARY HISTORY] [LINKS]
 

FastCounter by LinkExchange
Questions and comments concerning this site should be directed to the Webmaster