California State Military Department
The California State Military Museum
A United States Army Museum Activity
Preserving California's Military Heritage
Lineages and Honors of the California National Guard
49th Military Police Battalion
Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment

Organized and Federally recognized 1 July 1924 in the California National Guard at San Jose as Headquarters, 2d Battalion, 159th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division
 
Location changed 19 September 1940 to Oakland
 
Inducted into Federal service 3 March 1941 at Oakland
 
(159th Infantry relieved 29 October 1941 from assignment to the 40th Division and assigned to the 7th Division [later redesignated as the 7th Infantry Division]; relieved 23 August 1943 from assignment to the 7th Infantry Division)
 
Inactivated 6 November 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey
 
(159th Infantry assigned 5 August 1946 to the 49th Infantry Division)
 
Consolidated 15 October 1948 with Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 159th Infantry (see ANNEX 1), and consolidated unit reorganized and Federally recognized at San Jose as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 159th Infantry
 
Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2d Battle Group, 159th Infantry
 
Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2d Brigade, 49th Infantry Division
 
Reorganized and redesignated 4 December 1965 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 49th Infantry Brigade, and relieved from assignment to the 49th Infantry Division
 
Consolidated 29 January 1968 with the 49th Administration Company (organized and Federally recognized 4 December 1965 at Alameda) and consolidated unit designated at Alameda as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 49th Infantry Brigade
 
Consolidated 1 November 1971 with the 149th Aviation Company (organized and Federally recognized 8 August 1971 at Alameda) and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 49th Infantry Brigade
 
Converted and redesignated l February 1976 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 49th Military Police Brigade
 
Ordered into active Federal service 2 May 1992 at Alameda; released 9 May 1992 from active Federal service and reverted to state control
 
Location changed 1 June 1996 to San Rafael
 
Consolidated 1 September 1997 with Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 185th Military Police Battalion (see ANNEX 2), and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated at Pittsburg as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 49th Military Police Battalion

Annex 1
 
Organized and Federally recognized 20 February 1937 in the California National Guard at San Jose as Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 159th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division
 
Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1940 as Headquarters Detachment, 2d Battalion, 159th Infantry
 
Inducted into Federal service 3 March 1941 at San Jose
 
(159th Infantry relieved 29 October 1941 from assignment to the 40th Division and assigned to the 7th Division [later redesignated as the 7th Infantry Division])
 
Reorganized and redesignated 25 July 1942 as Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 159th Infantry
 
(159th Infantry relieved 23 August 1943 from assignment to the 7th Infantry Division)
 
Inactivated 6 November 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey
 
(159th Infantry assigned 5 August 1946 to the 49th Infantry Division)
Annex 2

Organized and Federally recognized 27 December 1927 in the California National Guard at Alameda as Company D, 159th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division
 
Location changed 1 March 1934 to Oakland
 
Inducted into Federal service 3 March 1941 at Oakland
 
(159th Infantry relieved 29 October 1941 from assignment to the 40th Division and assigned to the 7th .Division [later redesignated as the 7th Infantry Division]; relieved 5 August 1943 from assignment to the 7th Infantry Division)
 
Inactivated 4 November 1945 at Camp Shanks, New York
 
(159th Infantry assigned 5 August 1946 to the 49th Infantry Division)
 
Reorganized and Federally recognized 13 January 1948 at Pittsburg
 
Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as Company D, 1st Battle Group, 159th Infantry
 
Consolidated 1 March 1963 with Company E, 1st Battle Group, 159th Infantry (see ANNEX 3), and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 184th Infantry, an element of the 49th Infantry Division
 
Relieved 29 January 1968 from assignment to the 49th Infantry Division; concurrently consolidated 29 January 1968 with Company D, 2d Battalion, 184th Infantry (see ANNEX 4), and Company C, 2d Battalion, 184th Infantry (organized and Federally recognized 4 December 1965 at Pittsburg), and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 159th Infantry
 
Converted and redesignated 13 January 1974 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 185th Military Police Battalion
 
Ordered into active Federal service 2 May 1992 at Pittsburg; released 9 May 1992 from active Federal service and reverted to state control
Annex 3

Organized and Federally recognized 31 August 1931 in the California National Guard at Oakland as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 159th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division
 
Redesignated 1 May 1940 as Headquarters Detachment, 1st Battalion, 159th Infantry
 
Inducted into Federal service 3 March 1941 at Oakland
(159th Infantry relieved 29 October 1941 from assignment to the 40th Division a assigned to the 7th Division [later redesignated as the 7th Infantry Division])
 
Reorganized and redesignated 25 July 1942 as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 159th Infantry
 
(159th Infantry relieved 23 August 1943 from assignment to the 7th Infantry Division)
 
Inactivated 6 November 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey
 
(159th Infantry assigned 5 August 1946 to the 49th Infantry Division)
 
Reorganized and Federally recognized 10 December 1947 at Pittsburg
 
Consolidated 1 May 1959 with the Medical Detachment, 1st Battalion, 159th Infantry

(organized and Federally recognized 30 November 1956 at Pittsburg), and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Company E, 1st Battle Group, 159th Infantry
Annex 4
 
Organized and Federally recognized 21 February 1955 in the California Army National Guard at Walnut Creek as Company B, 159th Infantry, an element of the 49th Infantry Division
 
Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as Company B, 1st Battle Group, 159th Infantry
 
Reorganized and redesignated l March 1963 as Company B, 2d Battalion, 184th Infantry, an element of the 49th Infantry Division

Campaign Participation Credit
 
World War II
Asiatic-Pacific Theater
Aleutian Islands
European-African-Middle Eastern Theater
Streamer without inscription

Decorations
 
None
BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:
 
JOHN S. BROWN
Brigadier General, United States Army
Chief of Military History
 
14 December 1999

[WELCOME] [LOCATION AND HOURS] [CURRENT EXHIBITS] [MG WALTER P. STORY LIBRARY] [SATELLITE AND PARTNER MUSEUMS]
[HOW CAN I HELP?] [WHAT'S NEW?] [UPCOMING EVENTS] [CALIFORNIA MILITARY HISTORY] [HERALDRY & INSIGNIA] [ONLINE BOOKSTORE]
[CALIFORNIA CENTER FOR MILITARY HISTORY] [LINKS]
 

FastCounter by LinkExchange
Questions and comments concerning this site should be directed to the Webmaster