Located in today's Russian Gulch State
Park, this former Civilain Conservation Corps Camp (No. SP-11)
was taken over by the Army's Western Defense Command soon after
America's entry into World War II. The 1 June 1943 Army of the
United States Station List indicated that Troop B (less one platoon),
107th Cavalry (Mechanized) garrisoned the camp and mounted coastal
patrols from the camp.
US Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento
District History (1992)
Russian Gulch Campsite is located three miles north of Mendocino,
in Mendocino County, California (Figure 1 and Figure 2).
Site History: In
1942 or 1943, the U.S. Government War Department acquired use
and occupancy of roughly 6.5 acres of land by an undated use
permit and donation from the State of California. The site had
been developed and used by the California Conservation Corps
(CCC) as a campsite. The War Department also used the site as
a campsite. The use permit granted use and occupancy of the site,
the buildings and equipment located at the CCC Camp. A Corps
of Engineers Real Estate map of the camp showed several offices,
barracks, garages, maintenance facilities, and a refuse incinerator
on the site. These improvements were made by the CCC. The use
permit stipulated that the United States Government was to repair,
replace, and restore the premises to the condition that existed
at the time the War Department commenced to occupy the premises.
The use permit was terminated in 1944 and the site was returned
to the State of California.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster