US Army Corps
of Engineers Los Angeles District History (1992)
A total of 354.814 acres
were acquired by the War Department to serve as an airport and
campsite for the Army Air Forces. The entire 354.814 acres were
acquired in 1942. Between 1942 and 1946, several other parcels
were acquired for camouflage and maneuvering purposes only.
Camouflage was constructed over portions of the site to hide
manufacturing facilities near the airport. Two cantonment areas,
Camps Consair and Sahara, were constructed to house troops attending
factory schools and other Army activities located at the airport.
Other improvements were made to the site including the construction
of several buildings and the installation of fuel tanks.
The Army declared the site surplus on March 6, 1947. The Army
transferred a lease for 1.8 acres to the Navy Department in July
1944 and all other leases, permits, and licenses were terminated
between December 1944 and December 1948. The 353.014 acres are
now a portion of San Diego International Airport, Lindbergh Field
and is under the authority of the San Diego Port
District. Facilities owned by Solar Aircraft Company, Consolidated
Vultee Aircraft Corporation, and Ryan Aeronautical Company which
were under camouflage or maneuver permits are now
owned by Solar Turbines, General Dynamics, and Teledyne-Ryan
respectively. No information was available for the properties
covered under other permits, leases, and licenses.
US Army Corps
of Engineers Los Angeles District History (1999)
In 1942, a total of 354.814
acres were acquired in eight separate leases by the War Department
from the City of San Diego and the City of San Diego Harbor Department.
permits, one license, and seven leases, with no acreages assigned,
all granting the right to erect camouflage and for maneuvering
purposes were acquired from several different parties
between 1942 and 1946.
The site was used as an airport and campsite for the Army Air
Force. Several improvements were made to the site including several
buildings, two cantonment areas, and the installation of fuel
tanks. Camouflage was also constructed over portions of the site
to conceal manufacturing facilities near the airport.
A 1.8 acre lease was transferred to the Navy in July 1944. The
site was declared surplus on March 6, 1947 and the remaining
leases, permits, and license were terminated between December
1944 and December 1948. The remaining 353.014 acres is now a
portion of San Diego International Airport which is under the
authority of the City of San Diego Port District. Four parcels
covered under camouflage and use permits are currently owned
by Solar Turbines, General Dynamics, and Teledyne Ryan. No records
of current ownership information were found for the parcels
covered under remaining permits, leases, and licenses.
US Army Air Forces Directory of Airfields (January 1945)
Consolidated Aircraft Corporation magazine advertisement
Department Inventory of Owned, Sponsored and Leased Facilities,
Army Air Forces Technical
Training School, Consolidated-Vultee Aircraft Corporation.
Mobilization (Quartermaster Corps 700-Series
or Corps of Engineers 800-Series):
Theater of Operations: 932
acres (4 leases)
Ammunition Igloos and Magazines:
Total Storage Capacity:
Cost to Government Since 1 July 1940:
Annual Lease Payment(s): $4.00
Total (Less Lease Payments): $400,302.00
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster