US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1992)
On 17 January 1942, 4.94 acres were acquired
by the United States of America by deed from F.W. Tutin. The
Federal Works Agency transferred "custody" of the property
to the Department of the Army by letter dated 13 July 1948.
A United Service Organization (USO) recreation building was constructed
at this site sometime during World War II, probably in 1942 or
1943. The building was approximately 19,000 square feet, twostory,
and included, among other facilities, a gymnasium and a large
cooking facility. Army troops stationed at Camp Roberts used
the property for recreational purposes.
The Army, as agent only, to the Federal
Works Agency, maintained "temporary custody" of the
property until it was relinquished to the Housing and Home Finance
Agency on 3 December 1954. On 23 July 1954, 0.26 acres were transferred
to the State of California by Quitclaim Deed, and on 15 June
1960, 4.68 acres were transferred to the Franciscan Fathers of
California by Quitclaim Deed. The former USO building was demolished
and removed circa 1984. The site is essentially vacant and unused
except for a patch of asphalt (4 feet by 20 feet) and an electrical
1. A real estate file is maintained by the Real Estate Division,
Los Angeles District, Corps of Engineers.
2. San Luis Obispo County Records Office.
3. Albert Davis, Curator of the Camp Roberts Museum, was the
main contact for the site.
4. Arian Ramage, a local rancher, conducted the demolition of
the USO building.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster