US Army Corps
of Engineers Sacramento District History (1991)
Between 1942 and 1943, the United States of America acquired
a leasehold interest for 53.00 acres of land, by lease, and a
0.00 acre no-area easement, by donation, for a total of 53.00
acres of land.
The San Rafael Bivouac Area was located
2 miles east of San Rafael, in Marin County, California. Formerly,
the site was referred to as the Marin Golf and Country Club.
The site was acquired for use as additional housing for Hamilton
Field; however, it was also noted as a camp and maneuver area
with a suggested other use as a recreation camp. The only identified
U.S. Government improvement at the site was a never used sewer
pipeline located within the no-area easement. The using Army
force was reportedly the 107th Cavalry Regiment, Western Defense
Command. The 1 June 1943 Army of the United States Station List
shows that the 74th Field Artillery Battalion (105mm, Truck Drawn),
less Battery A, a Western Defense Command unit occuping the site.
On 15 June 1946, the lease for 53.00 acres
was terminated, and on 15 May 1946, the 0.00 acre no-area easement
was terminated. the sewer pipeline and unspecified improvements
were transferred to the lessor in lieu of removal and restoration.
No record of the 53.00 acre lease agreement was found in the
historical files. The updated real estate map indicated the site
has been subdivided into multiple parcels of land for residential
Department Inventory of Owned, Sponsored and Leased Facilities,
Mobilization (Quartermaster Corps 700-Series
or Corps of Engineers 800-Series):
Theater of Operations: 716
Cost to Government Since 1 July 1940:
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster