Historic California Posts, Camps,Station
San Ysidro Gap Filler Annex P-76B
Gap Filler Radar
"During the late 1950s another area
of progress was the development and deployment of AN/FPS-14 and
AN/FPS-18 gap-filler radars. Having a range of around sixty-five
miles, these radars were placed in areas where it was thought
enemy aircraft could fly low to avoid detection by the longer-range
radars of the permanent and mobile radar networks. Gap-filler
radar deployment peaked in December 1960 at 131 sites throughout
the continental United States. Because the introduction of gap-filler
radars alleviated the need for civilians to scan the skies for
enemy bombers, the ADC disestablished the Ground Observer Corps
on January 31, 1959."
Searching The Skies
USAF Air Combat Command
of a Gap Filler Annex
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1991)
The former San Ysidro Gap Filler Annex
P-76B was located on a parcel of land located south of Highway
117 and east of Interstate 805 on Otay Mesa Road, approximately
16 miles southeast of San Diego. The San Ysidro Gap Filler Annex
was acquired by the US Air Force to be used as an unmanned radar
gap filler station for Mount Laguna Air Force Station. The land
was acquired fee simple by declaration of taking (No. LA-48)
from Samuel G. Goodwin, et ux, on 19 February 1958. The site
consisted of 2.64 acres.
The San Ysidro Gap Filler Annex was used as an unmanned radar
gap filler station by the U.S. Air Force. Improvements, according
to the Report of Excess Real Property submitted to the General
Services Administration (GSA) by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
District, Los Angeles, dated 24 January 1962, include the following:
Gap Filler Building.
Underground fuel oil storage tank (1,542
The date of construction is not known.
There is no evidence that the area was under other than Air Force
control during the period of Department of Defense (DOD) ownership
The site was reported excess to the General Services Administration
on 24 January 1962 by the U.S. Army Engineer District, Los Angeles.
The Air Force terminated the ownership of the site by transferring
the parcel to the City of San Diego on 14 October 1963 by method
of quitclaim. The site is presently used as a communications
facility (police, etc.) by the city of San Diego. The block building,
access road, concrete walks, and tower foundation are still present
based on a site visit on 3 December 1987.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster