Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles District History I
On January 13, 1959, the 4.43-acre site
was transferred by a Letter of Transfer from the Department of
the Treasury, U.S. Coast Guard, to the Department of Army. This
acreage was a portion of an original federal ownership of 10
acres acquired in 1868 for a lighthouse. At that time, the only
improvement on the site had been a lighthouse. It was used and
maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard until 1941 and removed shortly
thereafter. The site was acquired with the intention of building
facilities to house and relocate the United States Army Reserve
Center (USARC) from its leased building on Pacific Avenue in
However, soon after the site was acquired,
the city of Santa Cruz, which wanted the site in exchange for
a city-owned site described as the "Airport" site,
entered into negotiations with the government for a land exchange.
Subsequently, the 4.43-acre site was conveyed to the city of
Santa Cruz by a Quitclaim deed on 16 February 1960. The site
was never developed by the government for use as a reserve center.
Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles District History II
On 13 January 1959, Department of the
Treasury, U.S. Coast Guard, transferred a total of 4.43 fee acres
of land, by a Letter of Transfer, to the Department of the Army.
This acreage was a portion of an original federal ownership of
10 acres acquired in 1868 to build a lighthouse.
The United States Army Reserve Center (USARC) site was located
in Santa Cruz County, within the city of Santa Cruz, California.
The site was also referred to as United States Army Reserve Center
Lighthouse Point; United States Coast Guard Santa Cruz Light
Station; Lighthouse Point; Santa Cruz Lighthouse Reservation;
Santa Cruz Army Reserve Training Center; and USARC Lighthouse
Point Site. The only improvement on the site was a lighthouse.
The U.S. Coast Guard maintained the lighthouse until 1941 and
it was removed shortly thereafter. The site was transferred to
provide for the USARC-Santa Cruz. Available records indicate
that there were no improvements made to the site during Army
ownership. There was no mention of any restrictions, recapture
clauses or restoration provisions.
The 4.43-acre site was conveyed to the city of Santa Cruz by
a Quitclaim deed dated 16 February 1960.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster