Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Terminal Island Barrage Balloon
Sites A and B
A barrage balloon
being launded at San Diego's Balboa Park in 1942 (San Diego Automotive
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District Histories (1 October 1990)
The site identified as the former Terminal Island Barrage Balloon
Site A, was used by the Army between 1943 and 1944. The site
is comprised of 3 parcels of land located parallel to Terminal
Way and northeast of the intersection of Tuna Street and Terminal
Way. The entire site is located on Terminal Island in East San
On 11 August 1943, 2.414 acres were required by use permit from
the Department of the Navy. 3. The site was used as a barrage
balloon launching site. No records are available regarding construction
The property was declared surplus 12 April 1944. Custody was
reassumed by the Department of Navy on 8 May 1944.
The site is being beneficially used by the current owner. Property
ownership is maintained by the City of Los Angeles. The site
is being used by current tenants for the purpose of cannery
associated operations and shipping terminals. There is no evidence
of hazardous/toxic material, ordnance or debris resulting from
DOD use of the site.
Site B: The
site, identified as the former Terminal Island. Barrage Balloon
Site B, was used by the Department of Defense between 1943 and
1950. The major portion of the site, consisting of 1.43 acres
west of South Seaside Avenue, is part of an active military installation.
The site is located on the Southwest corner of Terminal Island.
On 9 October 1943, 1.43 acres were acquired by use permit from
the Federal Security Agency (FSA) and on 15 November 1943, 0.06
of an acre was acquired by use permit from the Navy Department.
The site was used as a balloon launching site and for military
housing. No records are available describing any construction
On 7 September 1945, 1.43 acres were retransferred to the FSA.
On 6 April 1950, 0.06 of an acre was retransferred to the Navy
Department. Presently, the area consisting of 1.43 acres is part
of US Coast Guard Base used for the purpose of military housing.
The area consisting of 0.06 of an acre is the property of the
US Federal Correctional Institution.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster