Taft-Kern County Airport No. 2
Auxiliary Field No. 5
US Army Corps
of Engineers Los Angeles District History (20 May 1992)
site is located in southwestern Kern County, California, approximately
6 miles northeast of the City of Maricopa and approximately 8
miles southwest of the City of Taft. It includes portions of
Sections 19 and 30, Township 32 South, Range 25 East.
A Kern County owned landing field existed on the property on,
or before, 1942 as indicated in an aerial photograph of the same
date. War Department acquired the property.by lease on 1 January
1944. No permanent structures are known to have been constructed
on the site by the Army. It is believed that pilots based at
nearby Gardner Field, a World War II training base, used the
site for touch-and-go landing practice. A former World War II
flight instructor based in Kern County indicated that such training
at auxiliary landing fields did not involve the use of ordnance.
The property was declared surplus on 27
September 1945 and subsequently released. An aerial photograph
dated 1952 showed no sign of the fo~mer runways and it appeared
that the site had been developed for agricultural purposes. The
property is currently privately held and is in agricultural use.
US Army Corps
of Engineers Los Angeles District History (4 September 1992)
The War Department acquired 250 acres
by lease on 1 January 1944. The leased property included 160
acres from the County of Kern and 90 acres from Standard Oil
Company of California.
A landing field existed on the site prior
to Army acquisition in 1944. A 1942 aerial photograph showed
the site to be graded and possibly paved along the perimeter
and in a orth-south/east-west
cross pattern through the center of the field. It is believed
that Army Air Corps pilots based at nearby Gardner Field used
the site for touch-and-go landing practice. No permanent improvements
are known to have been installed by Army.
The 250 acres of the site were declared surplus on 27 September
1945 and were subsequently released. A 1952 aerial photograph
show~d no sign of the former runways. The site appeared to have
been developed for agricultural purposes. The property is currently
privately held and is in agricultural use.
Extract US Army
Air Forces Directory of Airfields (January 1945)
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster