Historic California Posts, Camps,Station
Tierra del Sol Gap Filler Annex
(Hipass Gap Filler Annex P-76C)
Gap Filler Radar
"During the late 1950s another area
of progress was the development and deployment of AN/FPS-14 and
AN/FPS-18 gap-filler radars. Having a range of around sixty-five
miles, these radars were placed in areas where it was thought
enemy aircraft could fly low to avoid detection by the longer-range
radars of the permanent and mobile radar networks. Gap-filler
radar deployment peaked in December 1960 at 131 sites throughout
the continental United States. Because the introduction of gap-filler
radars alleviated the need for civilians to scan the skies for
enemy bombers, the ADC disestablished the Ground Observer Corps
on January 31, 1959."
Searching The Skies
USAF Air Combat Command
of a Gap Filler Annex
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1992)
The former Tierra Del Sol Gap Filler Annex
(previously known as Hipass Gap Filler Annex, designated changed
30 June 1958) was located on a parcel of land approximately 54
miles southwest of El Centro, South of state Route 94 on Tierra
Del Sol Road, San Diego County, California. The Tierra Del Sol
Gap Filler Annex was acquired by the Untied states Air Force
to be used as a radar gap filler annex. The land was acquired
fee simple by direct purchase (No. LA-49) from Richard C. and
May M. Singleton on 13 November 1956. The site consisted of 0.89
acres, of which
0.15 acre is in road.
The Tierra Del Sol Gap Filler Annex was use as an unmanned gap
filler station and a masonry block gap filler building exists.
According to the Report of Excess Real Property submitted by
the U.S. Army Engineer District, Los Angeles, dated 24 January
1962, the following are the site improvements:
Gap filler building.
Underground fuel oil storage (1,542 gal.).
The date of construction is not known.
There is no evidence that the area was under other than Air Force
control during the period of Department of Defense (DoD) ownership.
The Air Force terminated the ownership of the site by transferring
the parcel to the state of California on 3 June 1963, via quit
claim deed. the new owner, California Division of Forestry (now
California Department of Forestry and Fire Fighting or CAL FIRE),
currently uses the main building as a fire station (named White
star Fire Station). The land is presently used as a fire station.
The building, concrete walks, access road and tower foundation
are still present, based on a site visit on 7 December 1987.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster