Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Todd Shipyard Corporation, Los
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1997)
Todd Shipyard Corp. also known as Todd Pacific Shipyards. Originally
known as Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Corporation.
Location: The site is located at 710 Front Street in the
Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro, California between Front Street
and Regan Street to the south, Pacific Avenue to the southwest,
and the Los Angeles Channel Turning Basing to the north.
Site History: The shipyard site was originally constructed
by the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Corporation for US
Naval use in 1917. In December of 1943, the Navy took possession
of the shipyard by Executive Order and requested Todd Shipyard
Corporation to operate and manage the plant. Although Board of
Harbor Commissioners Order Number 1926 (approved 4 August 1943)
indicated that the Navy Department was contemplating the execution
of a contract that would provide for the ownership by the United
States of certain facilities and improvements placed on the west
side of the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Corporation
site, Navy documents (December 1993) appeared to indicate that
the Navy took possession of the entire shipyard.
The following structures were located on the site in 1943: blacksmith
shop, pipe shop, maintenance building, storage buildings, machine
shop, pump house, switch house, gasoline pumps, transformers,
wharfs, welding school, copper shop, substations, incinerator,
sheet metal shop, electric shop, paint shop, sand blast building,
riggers loft, brazing and test building, railroad trestle, welding
shop, lumber storage, garage, and pipe coating building.
The shipyard was relinquished by the Navy to the Los Angeles
Shipbuilding and Drydock Corporation on 7 January 1946 and was
immediately sold to Todd Pacific Shipyards Inc. Todd Pacific
Shipyards purchased all of the assets from the US Government
in 1965. Todd Pacific Shipyards reportedly used all improvements
beneficially and continued operation until 1989 when it filed
for bankruptcy. The shipyard property and assets were returned
to the Port of Los Angeles in 1990.
The Port of Los Angeles demolished all former shipyard structures
with the exception of an old guard shack located on the west
side of the property; a small building, constructed recently,
on the southwest corner of the property; some sandblast waste
storage structures; and a Todd Shipyard crane. Most of the property
has been paved with asphalt and is currently used for storage,
construction projects and other Port of Los Angeles activities.