C. E. Williams, County Judge of Trinity County on July 10, 1854, appointed John Martin to:superintend a meeting in the town of Weaverville, which was being held to organize a company of volunteer militia. On July,20, 1854, the company designated as the Trinity Guard; was duly organized and mustered into the service of the State under the command of Captain Edward Rowe.
On July 21, 1854 'the officers of the Trinity Guard posted a $2,500 penal Bond, and in return the company received from the State fifty muskets and accoutrements.
There was only a meager source of information concerning this unit's activities. On December 5, 1855, a fire broke out in the St. Charles Hotel, in Weaverville, and in a short time the Trinity Guard Armory ignited from the blaze and because of the rapid progress of the fire every species of property in the Armory was destroyed including their arms and accoutrements. (1)
It is thought that shortly after the fire, because of the loss of equipment, the Trinity Guard disbanded by mutual consent, as the Adjutant General's Report for April 1861, lists them as disbanded.(2)
(1) Adjutant General Report, 1850-1863,
page 172, 173.
(2) Adjutant General Report, 1850-1863, page 53.