Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Tustin National Guard Rifle Range
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles District History (1990)
The former Tustin National Guard Rifle
Range is located approximately 6 miles southeast of the city
of Tustin, in Orange County, California.
On 29 June 1949, and on 6 May 1953, the United States Army acquired
701.54 acres from the Irvine Company through two leases.
The Tustin National Guard Rifle Range site was used by the Army
as a military rifle range during World War II. A permanent Quonset
Hut was constructed at the western end of the property. This
construction was undertaken during the period from 1949 to 1953
while the property was under the Army control.
The Army abandoned the 701.54 acres when the leases were terminated
on 15 May 1974. There are no records of the lease agreements
terminating Army's interest in the subject property and, therefore,
it has not been established whether there were any restoration
provisions, recapture clauses or restrictoins in the lease cancellations.
The site is currently owned by the Irvine Company and used as
agricultural farming and pasture land. No intervening ownerships
have existed at this site since Army disposal.
Today the site consists of mixed use of orchard and pasture land.
Approximately 18 acres of the property are being operated for
commercial nursery use by lease to Crowl Nursery. In addition,
the Regents of the University of California currently operate
an agricultural research field station on the site which undertakes
experimental crop tests. There are no buildings remaining from
the time period of Army ownership and no related structural debris
exists at the site. Although the former Army structure has since
been demolished, the existing concrete foundation currently supports
an office trailer for Crowl Nursery.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster