Historic California Post Camp
Stations and Airfields
Vidal Junction Gap Filler Annex
On 25 September 1956, 3.96 acres of land
(serial No. LA 0143864 Tract No. RE-D6349) were transferred from
Public Domain to the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land
Management. On 7 February 1957, the Department of the Air Force
acquired the land from the Department of the Interior by letter
to use approximately 0.28 acres for helicopter pad and the remainder
for road access.
The site was originally used for the construction of a Gap Filler
site with a landing area and rights of way for road access. It
was to provide data to Kingman Air Force Station in Arizona.
However, no improvements have been placed on the land by the
Air Force as the requirement for this site was deleted from the
Air Defense Command Radar Net. The 3.96 acre land remained raw
and undeveloped, and it was not contaminated by live bombs or
any type of ammunition. At the time, no services or obligations
were being rendered to the concerned property.
On 21 September 1960 the U.S. Air Force Base Civil Engineering
declared the 3.96 acre land as excess and recommended it be returned
to the Department of the Interior. The land was relinquished
to the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management
on 16 February 1961. There were no legal instruments granting
an interest in the property or the temporary use of it.
Source: Los Angeles District,
US Army Corps of Engineers, 12 April 1993
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster