Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Wilmington Classification and
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1999)
The property comprising the Wilmington
Classification and Holding Yand was acquired by the U.S. Army
during the years 1943 and 1944. Records indicate that 272.23
acres were leased from the City of Los Angeles (W2972-eng-755
and W04-193-eng-4356). Approximately 1.55 acres were leased from
the Watson Land Company (W04-193-eng- 2652). Approximately 0.65
acres were acquired by permit and 0.142 acres were acquired by
license from various private and public parties. Thus, a .total
of 274.57 acres were acquired by the Army for the Wilmington
Classification and Holding Yard.
The site was used by the U.S. Army as a loading and storage area
for military equipment awaiting shipment. Improvements to the
site, all constructed in 1943 and 1944, included three warehouses,
a railroad spur, sewer and water lines.
In the months of May and June 1946, 201.57 and 73 acres, respectively,
of the Classification and Holding Yard were declared surplus.
On 1 July 1946 the 274.57 acre site was formally
transferred to the Veterans Administration. Following this, no
transfer records were found that describe the termination of
numerous leases, permits, and licenses that were acquired for
site. However, through conversations with the Real Property Division
of the City of Los Angeles it has been determined the City of
Los Angeles currently owns 274.57 acres previously leased to
the Army for the former Wilmington Classification and Hold Yard.
This property is associated with the Port of Los Angeles and
is used to support loading and storage activities, import and
operations, and oil refining.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster